Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Today I must be a guest in your house

Yesterday I opened the Sentinel for the week of September 30th and read the lead article...God's children - responsive, not rebellious...by Glory Holzworth. The whole article is wonderful and I recommend reading it, but, I was blown away by her insight about Jesus' words to Zacchaeus. The tax collector was known for his ruthless and obsessive dealings with others and they considered him a sinner. But when he heard that Jesus was passing nearby, this little man dropped his dignity and climbed a tree to see over the crowd. When Jesus came to that place he looked up and saw him.

Now, let's take a moment with this week's Golden Text from John 7:24. "Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment". Do not look on the outward appearance. Use your spiritual sense to bear witness only to truth. Jesus did this constantly, and he obviously saw something more to Zacchaeus.

Jesus was the center of attention and everyone wanted to be near him. He could have had dinner with anyone. But Luke records these beautiful words...Zacchaeus, make haste and come down for today I must abide at thy house. Imagine how that must have made Zacchaeus feel, to be so singled out for this honor. They have dinner together and Zacchaeus is so moved by the words of this great teacher that he changes his whole lifestyle and vows to make amends to those he has cheated in the past.

I thought about those words all day. Today I must abide at thy house. I imagined all day that the Christ was choosing to spend the day with me. Mrs. Eddy defines 'house' as 'spiritual consciousness'. The Christ is right there with me in my thinking all day. He doesn't just drop by for a few minutes, he abides. 

And with the Christ-consciousness we can always 'judge righteous judgment', we can be the spiritual see-ers mentioned in last week's Lesson. What an opportunity to go through the day seeing everyone as the Christ sees them. How quickly we sometimes judge a person or a situation and miss the blessing of Truth knowing.

So I had an especially sweet day, welcoming the Christ to my 'house'. I think I will continue affirming the presence of the Christ today.

No comments: