Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Hey Candace

Have your ever been in a crowded place and heard someone call your name? Didn't you look to see who it was? One thing I would love to improve on is remembering people's names. It is such a nice touch to address someone by their name in a conversation.

In this week's Bible Lesson, Soul and Body, God says, "I have called thee by thy name, thou art Mine". I love the idea that God speaks to me and He calls me by my name. I have seen the smiles that light up the 'grands' faces when they get off the school bus and I call out, "Ian! Katie Rose!" That seems to complete that long bus ride with the assurance that they are home and someone is so happy to see them.

On the other hand, I attended many conferences during the years I was involved with children's literature. Walking the crowded exhibition halls, people would read your name tag and call out to get your attention. So much for proper introductions. One has to be alert to this kind of familiarity that does not have your best interests at heart. As Jesus puts it in Luke 21:8, "Take heed that ye be not deceived:"  You need to know who is speaking to you and what it is they are saying.

In the Lesson Joseph was sold into slavery by his own brothers. He was taken to Egypt where a wealthy man, Potiphar, purchased him to serve in his household. Potiphar quickly saw that the Lord was with Joseph for all that he did prospered. He put him in charge of his vast household. Potiphar's wife was attracted to Joseph and pestered him day after day to lie with her.  But he refused her advances. He did not listen to or act upon her suggestions. She falsely accused him and Potiphar had him sent to the Pharaoh's prison where his good and pure behavior won him many friends. He eventually advises Pharaoh, is given a new position of even greater responsibility and saves the people from seven years of famine. Including his own family. Potiphar's wife may have called him by name but Joseph was always listening for what God was saying to him. And I'm sure God called him by name.

I recently misplaced my phone and turned the house upside down trying to find it. My 'grands' watched me getting more and more flustered, but they also saw me stop and sit down. "I'm going to be still and listen and God will tell me where my phone is", I announced. Within one minute it was as though a voice spoke to me, "Candace, its in the pocket of your bathrobe".  And it was. It was the first morning it was cold enough to use a robe and once I got dressed I hung it back in the closet where I could not hear it when we tried calling the number. God 'spoke' to me through that angel message and addressed me by name. It got my attention and assured me of His constant presence and care. "Call upon Me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify Me". God spoke to Joseph, God spoke to me, and if you listen, He is speaking to you, and addressing you by name.

No comments: