Tuesday, December 23, 2014

It IS a wonderful Life!

Our family really gets into the holidays. We are baking cookies, wrapping presents, trimming the tree, hanging up the stockings. And we're watching all our favorite Christmas specials. We save Polar Express for Christmas Eve, pausing the movie at the appropriate place to go fix hot chocolates with lots of whipped cream or marshmallows. But there is one special I haven't watched for years. Due to some personal challenges I just can't watch George Bailey go through all the injustices and challenges that lead him to consider taking his own life. I know it ends well when an angel shows him how many lives he touched and blessed. Despite appearances, George Bailey is the richest man in town and he has had a wonderful life.

George was allowed to step back and see how he blessed so many others. We could all benefit by taking something nice to sip and a few cookies and sitting quietly to reflect on our own lives. So much good has unfolded in my life. I love living in a three-generation household and watching several of the 'grands' growing up. They are a big part of my life. And now two more of them are at Principia College, where we live, and I get to experience rugby and chemistry through their eyes.
All three of my children are living good lives and encourage me to be with them as often as possible. An added bonus has been James helping me with the power point presentations of several Association addresses.

After a twenty five year career with children's books in 2002 transitioned to the full time Christian Science practice and that is a daily - sometimes hourly - challenge and blessing. I can' t imagine what the last 40 years would have been like without Christian Science and my participation in branch church work. No matter where we moved we found an instant church family.

One of the things that spoke to me when I first started reading Science and Health was the definition Mrs. Eddy gives for God, especially the seven synonyms. I love getting to know God better as Principle, Mind, Soul, Spirit, Life, Truth, and Love. I can never thank her enough for her devotion in writing our textbook, establishing our churches, setting up the Manual, starting the periodicals and our wonderful Christian Science Monitor.

It has indeed been a wonderful Life and given me a wonderful life and I will rejoice all through the holiday season, taking moments to be grateful. His arm truly encircles me, and mine, and all.

Step; outside on Christmas Eve and hear the angels sing.

No comments: