Thursday, January 11, 2018

Get a bar of DIAL soap

I was standing in the cosmetic aisle at my supermarket, staring at a wide array of soap products. Many of them were liquid but I wanted to replace my bar. As I ran my eye over the various brands, I saw one that reminded me of something and made me smile.
A few years back, a bought bars of Dial soap, wrapped them in festive paper, and put one in everyone's Christmas stocking, along with a note. "When you use this bar of soap, take a moment to look at what is written on it."
What is written on it are the letters "D" "I" "A" "L".
Divine
Image
And
Likeness
Let this be a reminder of who you are, your true spiritual identity as the true reflection of God, make in His image and likeness, as we read in the Creation story in Genesis One.
Divine. Some of the definitions of the word divine are sacred, supremely good or beautiful, magnificent, extremely pleasant. It should be part of our daily prayers for ourselves to claim those qualities because they belong to God and therefore to us by reflection.
Image and likeness. Something exactly resembling the original. A mental picture of something.
I also like the think about how truth washes away all error, removes anything that is not made by God, cleansing the body. Mrs. Eddy writes "We should strive to reach the Horeb height where God is revealed; and the corner-stone of all spiritual building is purity. The baptism of Spirit, washing the body of all the impurities of flesh, signifies that the pure in heart see God and are approaching spiritual Life and its demonstration." (S&H 241)
So, the next time you are buying a bar of soap, consider Dial, and let it be a friendly reminder of who you are, the divine image and likeness of God.

No comments: