Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Which field are you cultivating?

As I study this week's Bible lesson on Life, I am thinking quite a bit about the above question. It came up at the end of the first section as I read this: "For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting." (Gal 6:8) I need to ask myself, as I go through my day, which 'field' I am spending time on, encouraging to grow. Are my thoughts centered around the scenario I see around me in daily life, or do I take time each day to turn my thoughts to God and see myself as living our His plan for me, a good and wise plan from a loving Father who will meet my every human need? No small thing, as it is obvious which crop will be the result.

The Golden Text this week offers much to pray with. It is from Ps 27:1. "...the Lord is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?" Who do I fear today? What power am I giving that person or thing to harm me or cause me to be fearful? Someone has written that you can define 'fear' as 'Forgetting Everything About Reality'. That is just what we do when we listen to suggestions that predict doom or pain or lack. We forget what is Real. We forget the Allness of God and that it is His good pleasure to provide for us.

So today I am substituting the things that I am praying about for myself and others in that Golden Text....the Lord is the strength of my (health, happiness, supply, eyesight, hearing, purity, right relationships, home); of whom shall I be afraid? I am thinking about reversing fear and expressing instead its opposite; confidence, trust, faith, expectation of good, etc.

You know, you can trust God, who is divine Love. He loves you every minute of every day. He is a very present help in trouble. His arms are always open. Try cultivating that field and see how the 'crop' changes.

No comments: