Thursday, October 18, 2012

Pondering pathways

I am a list maker. Always have been. It seems to help me focus on the needs of the day to write down what I want to accomplish or where I need to go. Yesterday I started a journal about my bread making and included a list of all my bread books. This morning I woke up thinking of today's errands and felt much more peaceful once I had written it into a list. It may not all get done but at least there is a plan. A path. Orderly steps.

The Golden Text of this week's Bible Lesson is about orderly steps. "The Lord makes firm the steps of the one who delights in Him". (Ps 37:23)  That is a great comfort to us list makers. It is an assurance that God is in control and will help us get through that checklist.

There are many references to paths and pathways in the Responsive Reading as well. "In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths".(Pro 3:6) Put God first, let God go ahead of you, then it is always safe and right to follow where He is leading.  It goes on to say "...the path of the just is as a shing light, that shineth more andmore unto the perfect day". (Pro 3:18)  That is just what I want to see today, my path clearly shining before me. Just the right order in which to do all those errands and chores. When I think about that I remember seeing moonlight reflected on water, creating a beautiful bright line.

Reading on....."Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established." (Pro 4:26)  I like that word 'ponder'.  It seems like quiet and thoughtful time spent considering something. The dictionary defines ponder as to weigh in the mind with thoroughness and care.  So here is good advice, to pause and think about your path, where you are going, how you will get there. Then expand on that to know that your ways are established in divine Mind's wonderful plan.

Some days that list gets so long, there is so much that should get done, so many needs to be met not only for me but for those I care about. If I start to take on that responsability personally, it can seem daunting and a heavy burden. But if I ponder, think about these tasks as a gift, as a way to use the qualities God has given me, see that it is all established already, the weight lifts and I can move freely through the day. Following that shining path.

So I will work with the Golden Text and be sure that as I see the path before me today I am also delighting in God. In His wonderful guidance and control. In my place in His orderly creation. Whatever it is that I am to do or accomplish today, I can delight in it.

No comments: