Friday, December 28, 2012

My best gift

We are slowly started the transition away from all the Christmas decorations, finishing up the rest of the Christmas cookies and goodies, getting ready to put away the Christmas music, etc.. I like to do this gradually and think about how Christmas went this year. So this morning I am also getting ready to sit down and write thank you notes. That started me thinking about some of the wonderful gifts I have recieved over the years. And this year was no exception.

The best gift this year started with a phone call from my Matthew in California saying he and Emily wanted to drive out to Elsah and spend Christmas here with our family. We haven't been together in a while, although we keep in contact by emails and phone calls, so this was very welcome news. They have raised Emily's daughter, Cielle, who is now a senior in college and a very busy young lady. She had plans of her own. They are not used to being around young children, like our Katie Rose (6) and Ian (9) so it was a bit of an adjustment to see how the things going on revolve around accomodating children. They also have a different work schedule and do not usually get up early, unlike our household that normally has to have the kids to the school bus at 6:45. So we did not know how early they would be over here from the hotel where they were staying. We had several strategies to keep the little ones occupied until Matt and Emily arrived.

Christmas morning I awoke at my usual 5:30 and had some quiet time for study and prayer. Part way through I decided to get some warm tea as it was cold in my room. So I went into the kitchen and then stepped into the living room to be sure the lights were lit on the tree. Imagine my surprise and delight to find the two of them sitting on the couch in their pajamas! They got up early, drove over, let themselves in and were waiting patiently to see who would be up first. We had a good laugh and I was now in on the joke so I joined them as we waited for the rest of the family. I considered that one of the best gifts and I will remember how that felt for a long time.

But I also have been so happy with this week's Bible Lesson on Christian Science. It begins with a passage from II Corinthians, written by Paul. "Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable gift".  It shows the prophecies about the Messiah in the Old Testament that were then fulfilled in the New Testament in the life and teachings of Jesus, along with his healing ministry. It continues with New Testament prophecies of the Comforter who will come. This Comforter arrived in the discovery of Christian Science by Mrs. Eddy and her own healing ministry. She has written Science and Health which all may read and study. It came into my own life and now I have a healing ministry as well.  It has changed me and blessed me and enriched everything about my life. It is indeed an unspeakable gift from God, the source of all good. And it is the greatest gift I have ever recieved. I will spend time today writing thank you notes, a nice long one to Matt and Emily, and certainly send my deep thanks to God all day today for the best gift of all, knowing that I am His beloved child and completely loved.

No comments: