Friday, March 1, 2013

Don't hit the wrong 'accept' button

This week's Bible lesson includes the story of Jesus raising the widow's son. As he is approaching the city of Nain surrounded by much people who were listening to his teaching, a funeral procession is leaving the city. Jesus must have been having an 'on the mount' moment for he did not hesitate to stop this procession. In loving compassion he tells the mother not to cry and he raises her son. Now both groups join together and go into the city as a celebratory parade. He has brought about a complete reversal from mourning to rejoicing, from death to life.

What has inspired me is a passage from Science and Health that is paired with this story. "By universal consent, mortal belief has constituted itself a law to bind mortlas to sickness, sin, and death." (S&H 229:15-16)  It was that phrase, 'universal consent', that got me thinking. How often are we swayed by public opinion about something? How often do we give our consent to a claim or suggestion of error being present because some so-called law of matter or medicine says it is?

When I recently made a reservation to rent a condo for a few days, the agent sent me a form to read, a contract for the days I would be using the property. At the end, I was to click on the 'accept' button. I read it carefully and appreciated all the details protecting the owner as well as me, the renter. So I was happy to hit the 'accept' button. But when I recently had symptoms appear of coughing and a runny nose, I was not at all willing to 'accept' that! The media was broadcasting warnings of illness in our area and blaming it on the cold and wet weather with dire predictions for health. No, I do not have to 'accept' any such thing. This week's lesson also included this, "In infinite Life and Love there is no sickness, sin, nor death, and the Scriptures declare that we live, move, and have our being in the infinite God." (S&H 381:17-19)  Now that's an 'accept' button I can use! Within a short time all the symptoms were gone.

I will be praying with our hymn 204 today and appreciating it's message....during the battle the victory claim. Jesus showed us the way, Mrs. Eddy gave us Science and Health, and the Christ walks with us at all times and under all circumstances.

Accept!

No comments: