Friday, January 10, 2014

First Responders

Are you a spiritual first responder?

I have kept a clipping cut from a newspaper shortly after September 11th. This is what it says.

Many of us have been touched by the story of the firefighter's chaplain who died as he gave last rites to a trapped comrade. Mychal Judge had been an inspirational leader to Manhattan's Fire Brigade #7. This was his prayer for the firefighters.

Lord, lead me to where You want me to go.
Let me meet who You want me to meet.
Teach me what I am to say.
Keep me out of Your way.

First Responders are individuals who learn how to respond in an emergency, the proper way to handle others who may be injured, how to clear blocked areas, basic first aid. Usually they are local police, fire and emergency workers. They are trained to help during these incidents.

I have been thinking about being a spiritual first responder today. Those of us who have had class instruction with a Christian Science teacher should always have a spiritual response first. Any one who studies the writings of Mary Baker Eddy can see how to do this. It is an instant turning to God, the source of all good, for direction and guidance.

What is my first response when faced with an injury myself or to someone around me? Mrs. Eddy writes on page 397 of Science and Health, ""When an accident happens, you think or exclaim, "I am hurt! Your thought is more powerful than your words, more powerful than the accident itself, to make the injury real. Now reverse the process. Declare that you are not hurt and understand the reason why, and you will find the ensuing good effects to be in exact proportion to your disbelief in physics, and your fidelity to divine metaphysics, confidence in God as All, which the Scriptures declare Him to be."

When there appears to be a blockage, physical or mental, what is my first response? Mrs. Eddy addresses this as well on page 283. "Mind is the source of all movement, and there is no inertia to retard or check its perpetual and harmonious action". Or this on page 447, "The recuperative action of the system, when mentally sustained by Truth, goes on naturally."

Christian Science teaches us how to be spiritual first responders. We understand that we can turn immediately to God at all times and under all circumstances and find comfort and healing. God will supply the wisdom needed and the result will be blessing.

No comments: