Thursday, January 2, 2014

To Bilbo, Frodo and Sam with love

I do not remember the first time I read The Lord of the Rings trilogy, or how many times I have read it since or watched the movies. A lot. My favorite character is Sam, who quietly supports and loves Frodo unconditionally and faithfully, always seeing a bright side to their situation. Fantasy is my favorite genre and I've read lots and lots of it and always love the dwarves, the elves and the Hobbits.

But I would not choose to be dwarfish in my approach to life. They live in the caves and deep underground, content not to see the sun or climb the mountains. Valleys can be beautiful but I would like to think I am always walking through them, onward and upward, in my spiritual journey. It can be very depressing to stay in darkness when one could be high above the clouds. So I remind myself daily to go up higher for the best view of Jerusalem. Rouse myself from the list of chores waiting. There will be time for reading the latest fantasy novel but first things first. Today we woke to a 4" blanket of snow. Just beautiful. The 'grands' are still on winter break but the parents went back to work today. So I will be keeping them busy as I also straighten up the house, put away a bit more of Christmas, put together a big pot of vegetable soup, make this week's batch of bread, etc.. Each task offers an opportunity to uplift thought about what I am doing. To commune with God. To express patience and gratitude.

The dwarves are industrious, producing quality craftsmanship. The elves are skilled hunters, weavers, defenders of their territory. Those Hobbits are just home bodies content to nurture their gardens and fill their larders for the many meals they enjoy daily. There is something fun about all of them and they have enriched my life over the years, bringing me much happiness as I read about them. But it does not compare to what I have gained by my study of the Scriptures and the writings of Mary Baker Eddy. My whole life has changed since I started that journey and I believe I am a better person for it.

So today I will take care of the house (very Hobbit-like). I will enjoy preparing the soup and bread as I find ways to encourage the kiddos to play with their new toys and stay away from electronic screens (very dwarf-like).  And I will find time to just stop and admire the beautiful views of our snow-covered neighborhood, and especially the wild bird gathered around our feeder (very elf-like).

I will strive for more mountain-top time, and bask in the warmth of my Father Mother God's love. I will life well and not be afraid to climb higher as I do the work my Father has given me, knowing I am fully supported. Good always wins. And sometimes it is the smallest and least likely one who gets the victory for all.

No comments: