Thursday, November 15, 2007

I just finished reading The Copper Scroll by Joel Rosenberg. It is the fourth in a series of books about the Dead Sea Scrolls and this one focuses on the famous copper scroll found in the same area but entirely different from the Scriptural fragments found. The copper scroll is a mysterious listing of the treasures from the first and second Temple built in Jerusalem. Among the things sought is the Ark of the Covenant. This book is about following the clues and what is in the Scriptures. It was a good read. I had seen a special on the history channel about that scroll and how archeologists are working to decipher its meaning. I've long felt that if only we could find a way for peace in the Middle East so that those ancient sites could be excavated, there are probably many things that might come to light.

I do not have to see the Ark to believe that it existed, and probably still does, somewhere in the world. I do not have to see the original tablets to believe in the Ten Commandments. I don't have to see God to believe that He is very real and that He cares deeply about me. I know this and have known it all my life. But my study of Christian Science has opened up so much of the Scriptures and shown me how to make their teachings practical in my day to day life.

I am a different person than I was in my twenties, thirties and so on. Everyone once in a while something comes up to show me how far I have advanced in my spiritual journey. Everyone once in a while I see how far I have yet to go. But it is a wonderful passage.

go in peace
Candace

No comments: