Monday, July 29, 2013

Graven on the palms of my hands.

I love this image. It is in this week's Bible Lesson on Love, a synonym for God. It is in Isa 49:16.

"Behold, I have graven thee upon the palm of My hands."

Isaiah is picturing a mother and her son,. the son being far away. Neither of them is literate but the mother wants some token to remind her of her child while he is away. She has a way to do that. She goes to a man who makes tattoos and has something inked onto her palm. The scripture doesn't say if it is his likeness or his name but it will never wash off and she can look at it at any time and be reminded of him. Isaiah represents God as speaking to Israel but it could certainly be applied to each of us as well. "Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of My hands."

God, divine Mind, is thinking about us, reflecting on us, constantly and continually. We are always on divine Mind, being see as His perfect and whole beloved child. We are the sons and daughters of
God, the perfect Father Mother parent. God is Love and that is where we dwell, in a tender relationship with Him/Her.

There have been times when I have written a note to myself on my palm.  It was put there to remind me of something I didn't want to forget. Now I am tempted to make a note there that God loves me so that I see that all day and remember to thank Him/Her and love God back. Keep God graven on the palm of my hand as well. See our hymn #76...In My hand thy name is graven, I will save both thine and thee.

It goes so well with this week's Golden Text....We love God because God first loved us.

And that love is as permanent as any tattoo.

No comments: