Thursday, March 12, 2015

Today's portion

This morning I read something in this week's CedarSCamp weekly metaphysical article that has given me much to think about. It was written by Craig L. Ghislin who was giving some insights into this week's Bible Lesson on Substance. If you do not know about these weekly gems, please visit the Cedars Camp site to read them.

The Golden Text refers to 'portion', something that is very much in world thought. What portion of your money do you need to set aside? What size should your portions of food be? What portion of your day do you keep for prayer and study? Section 3 is about food and has the story of Daniel and three other Hebrew boys held captive in Babylon refusing to eat the king's meat, a portion set aside for the chosen ones training to be of service to the king. Mr. Ghislin says "(this account) is usually thought of as an example of how food itself has no particular power to benefit health compared to the ability of God to sustain man, irrespective of how fortified a particular food might be".

I especially like what he wrote next: "John Calvin points out another interesting aspect. Conquering kings often used luxuries as ways to soften resistance of captives. They fed them and did everything they could to blot out any longing for their former home". He suggests that Daniel's abstinence from dietary luxuries was not simply to fast, but to remind him of his heritage, that he was a captive, and to avoid being enticed by the sensual pull of his captors. He was rejecting not just their food, but, their entire way of life, and protecting himself from being drawn into it.

Now that bears deep thought. I can see how easily the tv ads for fast food places try to entice viewers into bigger and bigger portions. The ads are designed to stay in your consciousness and guide you to their place of business when you feel hungry. There you are encouraged to 'upsize' your order for just a little more money. This may not have been the portion control you wanted but it is hard to resist standing at the counter, hungry, and smelling the foods being prepared.

I would not attempt to influence anyone to stop eating at fast food restaurants. Our family usually has one meal like that over the weekend. But I know I will think about the portion in a new light. I do not need the 'luxury' of a bigger burger or more fries or a huge beverage. I don't eat that way at home so why should I be swayed to do so elsewhere. It is a type of mind control I hope I am alert to and can protect myself from indulging.

I am not captive to that type of subliminal suggestion. I express dominion over what I choose to eat and where I choose to dine. I do not fast and would not include avoiding those places as 'fasting'. My heritage as the daughter of God assures that I will always have the very best because that is my Father's wish for me. All my good comes from Him. Christian Science is my chosen way of life and I work and pray to get a clearer view of that daily.

Thanks to Craig, to Cedars Camp, and my Abba for a timely lesson on portion this week.

No comments: