Monday, April 7, 2008

Seeing God face to face

The Golden Text for this week's Bible lesson is taken from Genesis 32:30..."I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." That was Jacob speaking of his experience at Peniel which lead to a new name, Israel. He had prevailed over his personal problems after a night of struggling and prayer. Many of us have experienced times like this. I am asking myself just what it means to 'see God face to face'.

I found some enlightenment by turning to the hymnal. Hymn 51, speaks of God, eternal Mind, as a Potter and man as His noblest work, relected 'face to face.' Hymn 136 soars with the thought: "I yet shall know as I am known and see Thee face to face". When we can know ourselves as God knows us, see ourselves as God sees us we will be free from sin and pain, sickness and despair, lack of any kind. Hymn 181 refers to part of Psalm 91, that great Psalm of comfort and protection. It says that when we look to God, divine Love, for our answers we feel the power that lifts us to that 'secret place' where we see Him face to face. Hymn 374 is all about being grateful as we find the divine Love always has met and always will meet every human need. "We thank Thee, Father-Mother, for blessings, light, and grace which bids mankind to waken and see Thee face to face." The effect of seeing God 'face to face' is an understanding that we reflect all that God is, just like the image in the mirror. We can rejoice for by this reflection we are whole, healthy, strong, confident, already having all we need, at peace.

It is interesting to note that all of those hymns were written by Christian Scientist.

I look forward to seeing God 'face to face' this week and learning that my life is His Life expressed.

No comments: