Tuesday, July 20, 2010

checking your net

This week's Bible lesson on God as Truth includes one of Jesus' parables, one that does not come up often. It is short but I believe I will be working with it all week. Found in Matthew13:47, 48 it reads: the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind: which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away.

I envision that net as all the things that 'swim' into my experience over the course of a day. This week, I am taking time each evening to examine this net and see what kind of things have happened and how I have reacted to them. I want to be sure I am grateful for every evidence of good and be just as alert to recognize and cast out the bad.

This lesson also gives us four distinct qualities that we should be expressing: honesty, unselfishness, love, and meekness. So in thinking over my day, gathering in the good and getting rid of the bad, I ask myself if I was expressing those qualities today. Can I see how I chose to be honest or see someone else as honest? Did I choose to be unselfish in some situation? Was I being loving with others? Did I express meekness in placing my trust in God and His ablility to take care of things so that I did not push my own human will?

Bad things may have gotten caught up in my 'net' but I do not have to hold on to them. It is important to let those things go rather than continue to ruminate over them and build up a sense of resentment that leads to anger and retaliation. How many times can we actually forgive and forget? Takes practice...and honesty...and unselfishness...and love...and meekness. This is no small challenge but I want to check my 'net' every day and see myself doing a good job with the catch. I want to be a good steward over my life. I'm sure you do as well.

Check your net.

No comments: