Thursday, July 15, 2010

Elijah Moments

This week's Bible lesson is about God as Life. Most of the sections feature the prophet Elijah. I love those stories and am familiar with them but I decided to try to look at them in a new light this week.

I have been working on a daily gratitude list that is spiritually based. So in my daily notebook I have added a section that begins I am grateful that... Here are my entries based on studying Elijah's experiences.

I am grateful that it wasn't that Elijah showed off, it was that God showed up. This is prompted by Elijah's contest with the 450 prophets of Baal. That story is in I Kings 17.

I am grateful that right where lack appeared to be there was abundance when Elijah meets up with the widowed woman. He did not end the drought, their needs were supplied despite it. The unfailing barrel of flour provided bread without the process of growing and grinding wheat.

I am grateful that Elijah knew that Life is not at the mercy of illness when he restored the widow's son.

Mrs. Eddy defines Elijah in our glossary as 'spiritual evidence opposed to material sense'. I will try to follow his example in the challenges around me.

No comments: