Monday, April 8, 2013

A new week, a new Bible Lesson, fresh ideas

Monday morning again, a new week beginning, a new Bible Lesson to read and study. "Grands" scurrying around to make the school bus on time, parents thinking about the week ahead, our weekly grocery shopping list and menus to be decided. But first and foremost, I am taking time this morning to pray for myself. This is in obedience to Mrs. Eddy's request: "One thing I have greatly desired, and again earnestly request, namely, that Christian Scientists, here and elsewhere, pray daily for themselves; not verbally, nor on bended knee, but mentally, meekly, and importunately."  (Miscellaneous Writings, p.127)

I found some wonderful ways to do that in one of the articles in this month's Christian Science Journal. The article, Prayer that renews church, seems an unlikely place to find ideas for praying for yourself, but there they were. And I wrote them down to carry with me today, to apply over the course of the day.

God is governing right now. (that was helpful with the 'grands')
God's structure is always secure (that got the parents on their way)
God's structure will always be in place (a good one for me)
God's structure cannot be disrupted (that helps with all the errands)
I am spiritual.
I am deeply valued by God.
I am held in God's care always.

I look forward to digging deeper into the three Bible stories in the Lesson; the Prodigal Son, the healing of the man at the Pool of Bethesda, and Eutychus surviving what appeared to be a fatal fall. Those three help answer the question, Are Sin, Disease, and Death Real?, and promote a clearer understanding of God and our relationship to Him.

The week is off to a good start!

No comments: