Friday, August 17, 2007

prisms and magnifying glasses?

As I prayed for someone who is experiencing vision problems the word 'magnify' came strongly to mind so I looked it up in the dictionary. It means to cause to appear greater with the use of a lens. It also means to glorify and praise. That lead me to several Bible verses; Ps 34:3 "O magnify the Lord with me and let us exalt His name together" and Ps 69:30 "I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify Him with thanksgiving". When I turned to the hymnal I found references to Mary's song of praise given in Luke 1:46 "My soul doth magnify the Lord, sing all in glad accord!", "I magnify and bless Thee, for faithful is Thy word.", and "I magnify and bless Thee, for Thou hast made me whole." (Hymn 153)

Turning to Mrs. Eddy's writings I was interested to see how often she paired magnify with prism. A prism is a transparent form, usually glass, that separates white light into the spectrum composed of seven bands of color. Seven is often used to mean completeness. (As I mentioned yesterday Mrs. Eddy gives seven synonyms for God in the glossary) Binoculars contain a pair of prisms. The faces of the prism reflect the light rays internally so that an upright non-reversed image is seen. Great metaphysical implications. Here is what Mrs. Eddy wrote in a Message to The Mother Church in 1901: "Divine Science is not an interpolation (to explain the meaning of something) of the Scriptures, it is redolent with health, holiness, and love. It only needs the prism of divine Science, which scholastic theology has obscured, to divide the rays of Truth, and bring out the entire hues of God. The lens of Science magnifies the divine power to human sight; and then we see the allness of Spirit, therefore the nothingness of matter." And in Science and Health; "To mortal sense Science seems at first obscure, abstract, and dark; but a bright promise crowns its brow. When understood, it is Truth's prism and praise. When you look it fairly in the face you can heal by its means, and it has for you a light above the sun, for God is the light thereof." (page 558)

So today, despite our rainy weather and dark skies, I will be thinking about prisms and the light of understanding. I will pray with the seven synonyms and magnify that application as I praise and glorify Our Father. I will be seeing the non-reversed image of man as the exact reflection of God.

Go magnify in peace.

No comments: