Monday, August 6, 2007

Question of the week: How do I worship God?

This is prompted by the this week's Bible Lesson on Spirit. Jesus tells the woman of Samaria 'they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth. The lesson continues with Psalm 95:2 and this is what prompted me to ask myself that question. "Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms." Hmmm. Do I start my prayers with gratitude for all the good He has already lavished on me, with an expectation that His lovingkindness will continue to pour out to meet all my human needs? When I pray, is it a joyful noise? Oh dear. I do see that I have come a long way in my study of Christian Science and my understanding of prayer. I can honestly say most prayers are entered into with a spirit of worship. This week I will be alert to just how I worship Our Father.

The lesson continues with letters that were written to the early churches. (I'm sure it is no coincidence that there were seven churches named) This is especially timely as our branch church is working together to pray for growth. I will look carefully at the advice given and see how it can help us understand the true purpose of church and our part as worshippers. It will be fun to look for encouragement 'to the church at San Marcos'.

Go in peace.