Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas and Peace on Earth

Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me.

As I listened to Vince Gill sing this carol on the radio this morning, I thought about what that means. Peace on earth begins within me, within my own concept. It stars with how I view myself, my family, my community, my church, my world. It includes all the definitions of peace.

Let it begin with me. Let me have a deep understanding that my life is so much more than just the absence of war or hostility. But that is a good way to start. Overall my life is free from open warfare or active hostility, but it is my job to keep it that way. No warring emotions or motives within myself, certainly no active hostility in my thought toward any person, place or thing. No animosity toward anyone or anything. Let it begin with me.

Peace also means inner contentment and serenity. I would pray about that with the first line of the 23rd Psalm. Peace means I shall not want or be wanting. Especially this time of the year when it is so tempting to wish I had a comfortable savings account, a reliable income stream, a checkbook full enough to buy presents for those I love. I don't have any of those things and haven't had them for the last five years or more. Yet, each Christmas I am pleased with what I can do for my family and friends. This morning I am thinking that the best gift of all is to exude that sense of peace around them during the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. Like ripples in a pond, that one pebble dropped in the water spreads outward and affects everything.

Let it begin with me. If I can understand clearly that I lack nothing and in fact am abundantly blessed with all good I can spread that sense of peace outwardly as well as feeling it inwardly. I have found the way of life that brings me contentment and strength and happiness and yes, peace.

Let it begin with me....and let it begin with you.

Go in peace.

No comments: