Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Life - You can't lose anything!

I love it when a sentence in our Bible lesson just seems to light up when I am studying. That happened this morning. It came from the 3rd section of the lesson on Life, from john 6:38. Jesus is speaking to a multitude of curious listeners. They were attracted to him as fame of his healing work spread. Jesus uses this opportunity to teach. He refers to himself as the bread of life and promises that those who come to him will never hunger or thirst. This supports one of the Beatitudes he gave during the Sermon on the Mount: blessed are they that hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.

(I have a sour dough starter in our fridge and make fresh bread about once a week. This morning I am trying a whole wheat recipe. There is so much I love about his parable of the leaven. It makes complete sense to anyone who works with yeast. I'm sure this loaf will be as delicious to eat as it is fun to prepare.)

He contines his teaching with this sentence and this is what started a wonderful train of thought. "And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing." The Message Bible interprets that as ""This, in a nutshell, is that will: that everything handed over to me by the Father is completed - not a single detail missing." I began to apply that to my Father's will for me and then for my patients. All that God has given me; all my qualities, gifts, talents, eyesight, hearing, patience, goodness, gentleness, supply, health, right ideas, cannot be lost or diminished in any way. That is His will. These are His gifts to me and there is nothing that can make me lose an iota of any of them. Nothing can be misplaced or forgotten. No sense of loss or something missing from my life. That's God's will.

And not just for me but for everyone of His ideas. That includes you. And your family. And your church family. And your job. And your income. You cannot lose anything God has given you and He made you in His own image and likeness. Just think what that includes.

I'm off to the next step in bread making. But I will continue to pray with these ideas.

Be at peace.

No comments: