Friday, May 23, 2008

Daily inspiration proved

This morning I continued my study of the word 'daily' in relation to spiritual progress. I've spent a lot of this year studying the daily duties Mrs. Eddy provides for us and have moved on to the reference in the Lord's Prayer to 'daily bread'. As I prayed about that just now, I asked my Father to give me fresh 'bread', some new ideas to work with. The message came instantly. Go to the concordance to the bound volumes and enter the word 'daily'. I did and 257 references popped up. Some of them were for the things I have already studied but there were many, many more I hadn't thought of yet. It seems there are many slices to this loaf of 'daily bread' for me to consume.

I printed out two pages of articles to look up and am looking forward to that. But three phrases jumped out and I will start with those. The first is from the Bible, Psalm 68:19. "Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits." I think that runs parallel to the first sentence in Science and Health, "To those leaning on the sustaining infinite, today is big with blessings."

The second phrase is also from the Bible and refers to a dramatic healing by Peter and John. They were about to enter the temple for prayer when they noticed a man who was 'laid daily at the gate'. This man was lame from birth, had never stood on his own two feet or walked. He had spent much of his life right on this spot, carried there by his family and left to beg alms of those entering the temple. He asks them for money. Peter responded by saying he didn't have any but he could offer the man something else. He offered to heal him. Reaching down he took that man by the arm and lifted him up. Lifted him up in more ways than one. He lifted into a whole new view of himself and gave him the means to earn his own 'daily bread'. The man instantly felt strength in his bones and could walk. Not only did he walk, he leaped for joy. And for the first time, entered into that temple with them, praising God. Are we willing to do what Peter did or are we sitting outside the temple where we have laid out our troubles for all the world to see? Are you ready to lay aside your limitations and see yourself as God sees you?

The third phrase comes from Mrs. Eddy's writings. "If Truth is overcoming error in your daily walk and conversation, you can finally say, "I have fought a good fight....I have kept the faith," because you are a better man. This is having our part in the at-one-ment with Truth and Love."
(S&H 21) Think today about your daily walk and conversation. Is it in accord with God? Are you living your life, spending your day, choosing what you say as His child?

Well, I certainly have 'food for thought' and you can picture me walking around my room, laughing and leaping and praising God. Thanking Him for yet another proof of His daily benefits. I hope you will have the same kind of experience today.

No comments: